It's true, having your little one sign to you is 'cute', 'trendy' and you love to show them off to others. But they don't just sign to get needs met. Babies sign for all kinds of reasons!
- Babies sign to share their world and tell you what they see all around them.
- They share their memories, tell you that an airplane reminds them of a bird.
- Book reading -babies love to point to pictures and look to you for the signs.
- Reveal emotions such as 'frustrations, anger, love, happy'
- Ask for clarification by pointing at something like the family dog and then looking to you for the sign.
I know from personal experience how rewarding signing has been and how helpful at the early toddler age. (between 12 months and 2 years old)