Friday, August 30, 2013

Week 8 - Unplug your screen and plug in to your kids

Welcome to the Peaceful Parenting Challenge Blog Carnival: Week #8 - Unplug
This post was written for inclusion in the 10 Week Peaceful Parenting Challenge Blog Carnival hosted by Prenatal to Parenting. This week our participants have written about unplugging. We hope you enjoy this week’s posts and consider joining us next week when we share about a week of spending time outside.

This week we were told to unplug. To be honest, I didn't see it as much of a problem. I don't have cable, I don't let the kids watch more than hour of their show a day. (We have learning DVD's) My weakness is facebook, as it is often my only social outlet at home. But the weekends are so busy, I don't plug in much. We had a BBQ that latest most of Saturday, so no plug in at all. Sunday we were playing, parks etc. Monday we were at the zoo all day, so no plug in at all. I didn't even get more than 1 text that day. Tuesday was about getting back to work a bit. So I needed to call and advertise for my classes. The thing is, I do this when they nap, so in the mornings, it's breakfast, homeschooling time and not much computer time for me. I usually get about 30 minutes on facebook in morning. Then I work mid afternoon, then more kid time.

I made more of an effort to ignore my phone when we were out. I found we had such an amazing time at the park. I was able to show them how to make helicopters out of things in nature. We collected broken nut shells and talked about how they would be perfect baskets for ferries. It was loads of fun. We played a lot of pretend play and spent almost two hours at the park. So great!

All week was fun. I think I will make an extra effort to have less facebook time and less texting when my kids are around. It really helps to focus on them. I found myself getting down to their eye level more. I was creating more crafts and slowed down a bit. I think the less screen time the more face time I get with my kids!

Amanda
www.stickyhands.ca


Unplugging the easy way - Sarah from Prenatal to Parenting enjoyed four whole days of unplugged time this week.
Unplugged – Amy from The Connection We Share creates some rules for herself to keep her unplugging on track.
Unplugged – Peaceful Parenting Challenge Week 8 - Katrina from Kalem Photography knows her family has been enjoying her being less connected to technology.
Week 8 - Unplug your screen and plug in to your kids - Amanda from Sticky Hands thinks the less screen time the more face time with her kids!
Week 8: Turning off and Tuning in -Kathryn from Curiosity and the Kat tries to turn the TV off. 
 Unplugging from Technology - Ricky from Daddy Blogger almost missed the carnival this week because he was unplugged.

No comments:

Post a Comment